Friday, April 9, 2010

Bloggers Challenge 04-09-10

It's been a week since I added anything to my blog. I've missed several challenges, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to get this one done in time. I caught a nasty bug and spent the last week in bed. What's worse, this was my birthday week. However, everything has turned for the better. My energy isn't full strength and I still have a cough, but I'm able to get back to doing what I love to do just in time for Friday's Bloggers Challenge. The theme this week is alter it.
As usual, my camera photos do not come out as clear as a scan. This piece is very dimensional.  The flower is the first and main altered item. It is made from two Coke Zero cans. I just received my Tattered florals Sizzix die from the Tim Holtz line, so I had to try it out. I cut three of the large six petal flowers from the cans. then I followed Tim's steps to make his grunge rose, only instead of grunge, I used the metal. The metal was colored with, what else? -- alcohol inks. I used a combination of Sunset Orange, Mountain Rose, Watermelon, Butterscotch, Black and Copper. On the printed side of the can, I sanded some and used the same colors, but with more butterscotch and black.  The second altering was the use of sandpaper to make the faux rusty metal background, a technique from the current Technique Junkies newsletter. I also used another TJ technique on the bottom background, faux paneling. The photo doesn't show the definition of the paneling very well, but it shows up IRL. The flourish (grungeboard painted gold)  and the memo pin are from Tim Holtz's line. The sentiment is from Club Scrap. I guess the fact that this piece is created on a coaster, gives a third point of altering.
I'm really happy I was able to finish this challenge. It was fun to do and it will make a great addition to my art collection.

23 comments:

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Beautiful GF, amazing that you went right for the metal rose, great idea!

Lisa Somerville said...

Love the Rose made from the Coke can. Hope you feel better and had a Happy Birthday!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- what an awesome job on the altering- LOVE the flower. Great TJ techniques!

Robin Merriman said...

Your rose is gorgeous! So sorry you've been ill, especially near your birthday. I hope you feel better so you can have a big chocolate cake to celebrate!

Heidi Hihn said...

Great job!! Love the rose...and it is not only altered it is recyled!!

Chrissy D said...

Oh My - I love that Coke can flower! I NEED to figure that out! BEAUTIFUL piece of art!!!!

Tami Black said...

Oh. My. Gosh! I would buy this because it is so beautiful! Who knew a coke zero can could be recycled into something so pretty! Gorgeous!

Basement Stamper said...

wow, that flower is amazing!!! Glad you are starting to feel better and hope you had a great Birthday (other than being sick)

Ida P. Krause said...

Wow that flower is just gorgeous. Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Happy "belated" birthday.

Jan Hoefler said...

AWESOME! Great Upcycling using the Coke can! You are sharing some great ideas!
Just wait until I get you that bird-cage.. You are going to LOVE it!!! I've been playing with it all afternoon.

tonistamps said...

What a great idea to use the Coke can for the flower! Very cool!

Selene Kempton said...

Wow! Very pretty! I know you may feel crappy, but your artwork is beautiful. :) Feel Better.

Connie Paxman said...

Love your project to pieces...and the metal rose is breathtaking...I just got my Timmy Sizzix dies today...so thanks for the inspriation.
connie paxman

Tiffany Bauer said...

Just awesome!! Love that rose!!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Wow Barbara! That is one amazing rose! Hope you feel better and Happy Birthday! :D

Nikki Bond said...

Love the vintage look...gorgeous! {SMILES}

Lisa Bohler said...

Love how you used the Coke cans to create a wonderful flower!

MJ said...

Love it! Love that the rose is made with a can. Beautiful.

Barbara said...

How lovely this is! Beautiful job...would never have known the roses were made from metal if you had not shared that.

GCgirl said...

COOL metal rose...that could be a beautiful accent on many things. I bet there will be a ton of CASEing going on for that one! :-)

sheryl said...

wow! Very cool--love the rose!

njburk said...

Sorry to be so late in viewing these--just my crazy week!
Your flower is georgous! What talent you have!
TFS this with us, Nola

Rachel Hope said...

WOW, coke cans???? Beautiful!