Thursday, May 1, 2014

Steampunk Goes Heavy Metal

I am so excited and honored to have been invited to be the May guest designer at SanDee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenge. The challenge this month is heavy metal.
3D lantern

2D Card
 I created two projects for the challenge. SanDee & Amelie's challenge always includes two categories --  2D and 3D. For the 3D category I created a lantern from black and green colored aluminum metal sheets (Ten Seconds Studio) using the Tim Holtz lantern die. Each of the 4 window panels is made from vellum and stamped with a steampunk image. A few gears adorn the lantern roof.
My card was also a lot of fun to make. I used copper metallic cardstock as the base card. I die cut a postage stamp shape background panel from the metal sheet, dry embossed it, and then sanded the embossed images. Over that I layered a portion of a clock face die cut from grungeboard and painted with antique bronze distress paint. The leaves were cut from a green colored aluminum metal sheet. (All of the dies used are from Tim Holtz.) The stamp (also Tim Holtz) is part of a larger stamp. I used colored pencils to color the image and metallic copper pan pastels for the background.
I am entering my lantern into the challenge at Mark's Finest Paper Friends of Speedy which is use vellum.

2 comments:

Janine said...

Amazing creations. Thanks for entering your lovely lantern in our FOSTV challenge.

Claudia N. said...

Sorry I am so late, Barbara,

but it was a bit hectic around here.

I just want to say a huge THANK YOU for creating these awesome projects for our challenge this month! It is so great to have you talented lady with us at SanDee&amelie's and I just love what you did to that foil and the lantern! Wow!

Big hug,
Claudia