Monday, September 1, 2014

Autumn Bloom


Today is Labor Day her in the U.S. It was a beautiful day here in my part of Chicago. My lovely daughter grilled, so I could enjoy some time in the studio followed by a great meal. It was the perfect set up for a brightly colored card.
My card layout is based on the Mojo Monday sketch challenge. The Mixed Media Monthly challenge wanted us to be inspired by the colors in their photo (above) When I looked at the inspiration photo my reaction was bright, bold, and floral. I started with a neutral, white cardbase. The background panel is burnt orange. The left panel is a piece of white cardstock which I colored metallic gold using the metallic pan pastels. I then took my marbled stencil (Prima)  and used embossing paste for the marbling. Over that I stenciled a border of leaves (Dylusions) with distress paint. The panel on the right is blue cardstock layered with mesh dry wall tape. The flower (Heartfelt Creations) which was stamped on watercolor paper and then was colored using the watercolor marker technique (Marvy markers). I added the ribbon and a pressed flower sticker (SEI Inc.) which I layered on a white background and then a burnt orange framing panel. I stamped the word "autumn" right on the sticker.
I am also entering my card in these challenges: Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge -- bold colors; Ink on my Fingers Sunday Challenge -- bright colors; Artistic Stamper -- fall colors.

9 comments:

Donna B. said...

This card is gorgeous! I love the colors you used in the flower and that drywall mesh is awesome. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Hels Sheridan said...

Love those bright popping colours you chose for your flower Barbara, thanks for joining in with the sunday STamper x

Meihsia Liu said...

Gorgeous colors and texture! Love your beautiful card. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

jeanchaneyaz said...

Beautifully done. Thank you for sharing how you did that wonderful piece of paper in the background!

Lynn K said...

Lovely mixed media card! Love the texture and you nailed the color challenge!! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

crafty creations said...

Good morning from the UK Barbara - your art work card is stunning - the colours amazing

Hilda x

Lynn said...

This card was just perfect for our challenge, such a great use of the flower and colors. Thanks for playing along in the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Rachel said...

lucky you, i want a daughter that will grill for me! :) This is a beautiful card and works so well with the photo. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Lalo said...

Lovely card. That big bloom really looks like the inspiration photo.