Friday, September 26, 2014
Pumpkin Jack Goes Steampunk
I decided that I wanted to make a dimensional project. To create this piece, I started with one of the burlap panels. I then sprayed Dylusions over the panel in Halloween colors. The face was cut from Graphic 45 design paper, edged in spiced marmalade distress ink, and adhered to a matching piece of grungeboard for strength. The hat was a wooden embellishment that I had picked up at a craft store. I painted it with black soot distress paint. To make the eyes and monacle, nose and moustache, and goggles, I die cut the gears and moustache and followed the effect powders technique (p. 52 of Tim Holtz's book) from the current Compendium of Curiosities Challenge. I love how it adds texture to the items. The raven and owl and die cut using some of Tim's dies and colored using distress paints. The mouth is part of a Cheery Lynn Designs die cut.
I really enjoyed working on this project for the Compendium of Curiosities 3 challenge. This month the challenge is being sponsored by the generous Inspiration Emporium. There is also a great prize package from Tim and Mario. (See, even Jack has a big smile.)
This wall hanging works well with several other challenges: Take a word -- steampunkery; Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge -- anything goes; Frilly & Funkie -- haunting Halloween; Great Impressions -- get your spook on; SanDee & Amelie's Steampunk Challenges -- steampunk stories.