Friday, July 26, 2013

Butterfly

The Ink on my Fingers Sunday Challenge and Serendipity Stamps both challenged us to use fabric on our cards. I had a few ideas, but then I remembered a technique I had learned years ago. I used the Heartlooms velvet embossing technique with the small butterfly and milkweed stamp from Serendipity. (Of course, I had several pieces of the Heartloom velvet in various colors in my stash that I had to have back then because of the technique.)
For those of you new to this technique, it's very easy. You need a piece of Velvet, a craft iron (or if using a steam iron, no steam and stay away from the holes in the iron), and a rubber stamp. Spritz the velvet with a tiny bit of water, lay the velvet soft side down on the stamp and press the iron on the back of the velvet. It only takes a few seconds and the image will be embossed in the velvet. I cut my velvet using one of the Tim Holtz ovals. I was amazed at how easy the velvet cut.
The background of my card is cut from a piece of My Mind's Eye designer paper. The sentiment is a stamp from Club Scrap. this was a fun trip down memory lane.

5 comments:

Karen Amidon said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your technique , it's wonderful.
I love the papers you chose to showcase the stamp. Great card for the fabric challenge!

Hels Sheridan said...

wow, I haven't seen that technique for aaaages, great that you brought it back! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

Marybeth said...

Very interesting technique Babara! Love your card and this idea, thanks for sharing how you did this. Beautiful card! My friend was just showing me how her milkweed plants were eaten to the bone , and she has so many fat caterpillars! Thank you so much for playing along with us at the Serendipity Stamps Challenge Blog!

Jeanne J. said...

What a neat idea! I've never tried this before but it sounds like even I can do it! Your card is beautiful Barbara and thanks for teaching me something new!!

Vickie Z said...

That's seriously cool...have never heard of ironing an image on velvet!! Gorgeous card!!