Sunday, August 22, 2010

Compendium of Curiosities Challenge 10 in the Style of Wendy Vecchi

Okay, I admit that I am in just under the deadline. This is especially troublesome when so much of the technique has to dry. My final project is dimensional and almost dry, therefore I had to use the camera instead of the flatbed scanner. Have I mentioned that I'm closeup camera challenged?
This week the Compendium of Curiosities Challenge is Distress Stickles. The challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show is to create artwork using the Wendy Vecchi, Studio 490 style.
My creation meets the criteria from both challenges and fills a need I had because of the CCC challenges. Since I started with the first challenge, I decided to put my challenges into a book format. I needed a cover for the book and the Wendy Vecchi style was the perfect answer. Distress Stickles is a wonderful embellishment for this style.
I use one of Wendy's tutorials to guide me. To begin with I made two epoxy embellishments using Tim's memo pins. The actual cover base is book board and is painted using dimensional pearls in mushroom. I used the corners from Tim's line and sanded the front to bring out the design. All of the die cuts are grungeboard and grungepaper and are from the alterations line . The label was colored with rusty hinge distress ink and bordered with pumice stone and then vintage photo distress stickles. The letters are grungeboard and inked with black archival ink and covered with rock candy distress stickles. I used wings for leaves. They are colored using forest moss distress ink and covered with peeled paint distress stickles. The larger flower part is colored with spiced marmalade distress ink, stamped with a crackle stamp, and covered with spiced marmalade distress stickles. The smaller flower part is colored with mustard seed, stamped with the crackle stamp, and covered with rock candy distress stickles. The center is a large brad covered with vintage photo distress stickles.
When the challenges are over, I will add fiber and ribbons to the rings.

4 comments:

Linda Ledbetter said...

Barbara, your photo looks great, and your Wendy/Tim combo piece is stunning! I'm so happy you were able to combine the challenges, and you really made a gorgeous work of art that will be a PERFECT cover for your technique book. The Distress Stickles look fabulous, and all the sweet details work so nicely. Great job!

Shelann said...

Clever combo challenge piece, the colors are nice.

Lynne Forsythe said...

Barbara.....what a WONDERFUL IDEA!!! and such a FAB cover for your mini!!!

thanks bunches for playing along with the Design Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!!!

Kim Costello said...

Your Wendy/Tim piece is gorgeous Barbara and know what you mean with the waiting for things to dry LOL!!!
The Design Team and I are so pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week,
Thank you & HuGs!
Kim :)